Monday, June 7, 2010

Don't Stress


Last week was one of the most stressful weeks of my life, and this week has promise to be a close runner-up. Over these couple of rough weeks, I have had trouble handling the stress tha has resulted from the numerous research papers, projects and finals I have been writing, working on and studying for respectively. Saturday morning I was forced to standby register for the SAT at Southside because I didn't realize that the next SAT isn't until October, until it was too late to register for last Saturday's SAT. At the time I felt like the world was coming to an abrupt halt because of all of the work that had led up to that moment of stress release. I couldn't stand all the pressure of performing well on the SAT after receiving a disappointing score on my physics final and stressing about several papers and projects all week long.


I now realize that there was no point for me to do all of that stressing. Stressing is largely superfluous, because it does not change the events that are set to occur. Stressing over a test doesn't make the test go away, just as stressing over turning in a good paper doesn't make you work more efficiently. Stress just slows us down. It causes everyone to perform worse than usual, and it ultimately guarantees unnecessary unhappiness for the time during which one is stressing.


Stressing is not only superfluous, it is damaging. Over the past couple of weeks I have stressed so much that I actually led myself into a kind of brief and shallow depression. Although I am certainly not in any psychological trouble, the stress which I allowed to control me during the time which I was writing my research paper, working on my projects, and studying for finals ate away at my happiness and caused me to think negative thoughts. Stress is what causes me to lose my confidence and my smile. I now realize that hard times would be so much easier if I could just control the stress which I experience, instead of letting it boss me around.


No matter how hard it gets, I'd have to say it's never worth stressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment